Wednesday, December 13

Beyond The Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning

He was known throughout the kingdom as Hawk, legendary predator of the battlefield and the boudoir. No woman could refuse his touch, but no woman ever stirred his heart--until a vengeful fairy tumbled Adrienne de Simone out of modern-day Seattle and into medieval Scotland. Captive in a century not her own, entirely too bold, too outspoken, she was an irresistible challenge to the sixteenth-century rogue. Coerced into a marriage with Hawk, Adrienne vowed to keep him at arm's length--but his sweet seduction played havoc with her resolve.

She had a perfect "no" on her perfect lips for the notorious laird, but Hawk swore she would whisper his name with desire, begging for the passion he longed to ignite within her. Not even the barriers of time and space would keep him from winning her love. Despite her uncertainty about following the promptings of her own passionate heart, Adrienne's reservations were no match for Hawk's determination to keep her by his side. . .



Faeries are cute and they're supposed to stay that way in my mind. Unfortunately, I met Adam Black in this book and the picture of the dainty, magical creatures in my mind will forever be tarnished. (Well, that remains to be seen until I get to read Adam's book.)


But that wasn't the main reason why I didn't like this book. The heroine just annoyed me to no end--especially when she called the Hawk Adam when he was trying to make love to her, his effing wife. Ugh! I wanted to throw her out a tenth-storey window! I just wanted to throttle her so badly that I could barely concentrate on the other nuances of the story that might be possible saving graces for all the disappointing twists. I've no problem with women trying to hold off men at bay. In fact, they're characters I'd most likely enjoy reading. But the way Adrienne kept using Adam (even if she herself didn't like him) as if he was a shield to ward off the Hawk's sensual attacks didn't sit well with me. Jeez, how much can one person beautiful men?!


The Hawk was on okay hero, I guess. Although I got tired of how his virile perfection was often mentioned from beginning to end. A girl can only stand so much without being bored.

As I've said, faeries are okay. In an LOTR kinda way. But the vengeful role they played and the way they used Adrienne in this story was not my cup of tea. Yes, the Hawk was able to find a countercurse, a way to compel Adam Black to put everything in the right. Nevertheless, the way Adam and the Fae King tried to bounce Adrienne from the present day then back to the Middle Ages as if she was a common ping-pong ball did not improve things one iota. It was just so unfair. And the way these people of the Middle Ages acted to Adrienne's popping out of nowhere baffled me. More so was her modern day housekeeper's reaction when Adrienne told her she was pregnant with a man who lived centuries ago. That left me scratching my head.

Now, enough about this whine disguised as a review. But one last thing: I did enjoy one part--I was glad that Adrienne was able to bring Moonie with her to the sixteenth century. And for that, I won't be giving up on KMM's works entirely--if only to read Adam's story. I won't be reading anything by her right away but I'll give fantasy a second chance soon enough.

Final verdict: 6/10. Try to read.

8 comments:

Marg said...

I laughed out loud (in incredulity) when Adrienne couldn't work out if it was the horse or Hawk that she saw a glimpse of....puh-leeze!

~ames~ said...

LOL I have to reread this book. I think this was one of the last KMM books I read (well, before Dark Fever). Adam BlaCk isn't a cute magical creature in his book either, FYI. :P

Kookie said...

Marg--
Exactly...some things just bordered in the ridiculous in this book that I seriously think I could never read another KMM.

Ames--
BUT I just have to read Adam's book...just to see what kind of hell he went through. I did get to read the excerpt of The Immortal Highlander in this book so I'm pretty intrigued.

Dev said...

Well, I just bought the whole KMM series, so I hope I like this one better than you did. I also got the complete Highlander series by Janet Chapman and I'm loving that one. Have you ready any of hers?

Kookie said...

Well, I haven't totally given up on KMM...and I'm actually looking forward to reading Adam's book as soon as I get my hands on it. Or maybe, fantasy is not just for me--and I'm pretty getting tired of the time-travel thing.

Nope, I haven't tried reading a Janet Chapman book but I'll definitely start to look for her books.

Holly said...

Hey, what the? I swear I commented on this already. Grrrr.

Anywho, I love Adam. This book irritated the crap out of me, though. I wanted to beat the ever lovin' hell out of the TSTL heroine. And I was all SORTS of irritated at Adam, too. But as the series progresses, I started to fall a bit in love with him, and by the time he got his own book I was lost. :)

Rowena said...

See, this is just another thing that I don't agree with most people on..I don't think Adam is just the bomb like everyone else does, I think he's cool and really hot but he doesn't do it for me the way Dageus does or even Cian, now Cian? Oh hell yeah...haha.

This book was really cute the first time I read it, I really liked it!

Kookie said...

You, girls, are getting me into the series. But when I do get to read the other books in it, I know I'll be glad to have started out with this book. If only to see how much the other characters have "grown."

 
design by suckmylolly.com