Saturday, October 19

Mystery Man by Kristen Ashley

While drinking cosmopolitans, Gwendolyn Kidd meets the man of her dreams. Then she takes him home. Then she wakes up alone. But her fear that she lost her dream man turns into a relationship with a mystery man when, night after night in the dead of night, he comes back for more. Hoping it will blossom into something real, she lets him.

But she doesn’t even know his name.


I know I'm late to the party but this is my very first Kristen Ashley. I'm so new I almost called her Kristen Alley at one time. Yikes! When I decided to come back to book blogging, I realized that I need to come out of my reading comfort zone and need to pick up books from authors I haven't read yet. Hence, this. Who knows what made me decide to read this particular book out of the gazillion recommendations? But I did. And thank God for it.

And so my affair with Ms Ashley's Dream Man series started. I know I didn't like Gwen right off the bat. I wouldn't like anyone who anyone who sleeps (although not technically) someone for a year and a half and doesn't even know their name, not even their first name. Sounds judgmental but I don't care. It's just one of those WTF moments when reading some books. And note that this was mentioned at the very beginning of the book so I wasn't quite sure at that time if I made the right decision with starting the book in the first place.

But I'm glad I read on because whatever else I didn't like about Gwen, Hawk pretty much made up for it, Sweet Pea. If it hadn't been this book, I would've gagged about too much babe, baby, and honey. But somehow they all quite fit in into the book and the characters.

My most favorite secondary characters in the book were Meredith and Elvira. Meredith because great stepmother characters are always a treat. Elvira because what's not to love in a lady that can speak her mind. Please note though that the book is full of so many great characters and I'm already excited as to who gets to have a book of their own in the rest of the series. I have them but I haven't even read the blurbs--lucky me, I got to actually read the first and didn't stumble on somewhere in between in the series.

There are points that just made me want to edit the book, grammar-wise. But I left that as part of the book's character and just enjoyed the experience--I finished this in one sitting. I loved how the dialogue meshed right in with the first person narration. And just one book down and already I'm a big fan of Kristen Ashley epilogues!

Spoiler: Hawk bought Gwen expensive killer shoes! She didn't even ask for them, he just heard her mention about them to a friend. I looove this man to bits. 

Final verdict 8/10. Good read.

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com