Wednesday, October 23

Wild Man by Kristen Ashley

While filling her display case in her bakery, the bell over the door sounds and Tessa O’Hara looks up and sees the man of her dreams. Within thirty seconds he asks her out for a beer. Thirty seconds later, she says yes. But after four months of falling in love, she discovers he’s an undercover DEA Agent investigating the possibility she’s involved in her ex-husband’s drug business

Obviously Tess decides this means it’s over.


After reading this book, I have become totally obssessed with Kristen Ashley. And this is only the second book by her that I've read. Like, obssessed.

First thing first. Let me just say that endearments are not corny. Endearments are adorable. Two KA books down and I'm already spoiled with how liberally she uses them all over her books. It's like candyland. It's that sweet. I love it.

Brock Lucas was a hotshot cop who did undercover work. Tess O'Hara baked cupcakes and owned a bakery. I loved both main characters in this book right away. I didn't have to wait for either of them to grow on me as I coast through my reading. I couldn't help but root for them even on that very first hiccup of their demi-relationship.

The chemistry between Brock and Tess is just up there that it didn't even register right away with me that these characters were actually older than what I was used to. By older I meant early forties, which, let's admit, isn't always the case in most books. I can count on my two hands the number of books I've read with older protagonists and I have never always liked them. But the best thing about this was that each character had so much history that it was just a joy to read their dynamics in the present time. But KA wrote the characters so well that it was easy to not even let the age factor kick in while you read the rest of the story.

The exes from hell. As I've said, both Brock and Tess had a lot history in their respective lives before they even met each other. They both had exes that provided the lows in this book, exes that just wouldn't and couldn't let go. Keep on the look out on what they could do. Don't worry though, Brock's kids will balance everything out. I loved those young men.

Okay, so I shouldn't give away too much. But since I already mentioned that KA has spoiled me on one thing, let me just add that she had, in fact, spoiled me with two more things. One: the family dynamics that she has in her books seem to be always on extremes--the best of the best versus the worst of the worst. Two: KA makes the meanest epilogues that leaves a smile on one's face. Definitely on mine.

I'm already looking forward to the third book in this series.

PS Is there going to be a Dade McManus book? Because that man needs a happy ending like no other.


Final verdict: 8.5/10. Great must read.

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com