Monday, February 17

The Perfect Play by Jaci Burton

Football pro Mick Riley is an all-star, both on the field and in the bedroom. But a sexy, determinedly single mom just might be the one to throw him off his game...

For years Mick has been taking full advantage of the life available to a pro athlete: fame, fortune, and a different girl in every city. But when he meets and beds confident, beautiful event planner Tara Lincoln, he wants much more than the typical one-night stand. Too bad Tara's not interested in getting to know football's most notorious playboy any better.

As the single mother of a teenage son, the last thing Tara needs is the jet-set lifestyle of Mick Riley; even though their steamy and passionate one-night stand was unforgettable. Tara's life is complicated enough without being thrust into the spotlight as Mick's latest girl du jour. Tara played the game of love once and lost big, and she doesn't intend to put herself out there again, especially with a heartbreaker like Mick.

But when Mick sets his mind to win, nothing will stop him. And he has the perfect play in mind.


I wanted to take a break from all the rockstars I have been reading about lately and what better way to do that than spending time with athletes. I love sports and equally, the sportsmen that come with them. Never mind that this book was about American football...which I am not a fan of. When I talk football, I really meant soccer. (Trivia: Only four countries in the world call the sport soccer while the rest of the world call it football. I agree with the rest of the world.)

This was my first Jaci Burton and I have had this book in my TBR pile for quite some time. Most of the books in the series are in my TBR right now, in fact. I am an easily distracted reader so I guess that explains me delaying starting this series. But also because I really like a series to be done and over with before starting it because I hate having to wait for the succeeding books in it. But just look at that cover. SWEET BABY JEEZUS! I just couldn't say no anymore.

I loved this book. Hey, it just wasn't about the cover! I had fun reading about Mick and Tara. This was probably one of the most fast-paced, easiest reads I had in sometime. I just went through it a snap. Should I mention that I started reading this at 3AM because I woke up that early and couldn't go back to sleep anymore...on a Sunday morning?! 

But I was glad I finally got around to reading this book and starting this series. It was sexy as hell, family-rooted, kinda reminiscent of KP's With Me In Seattle series which I also adored. The dirty talk got me good, too. Phew! *fans self* And despite this, it managed to maintain a serious undertone regarding the Mick's history with alcohol. It was finely incorporated into the story, too. I hope this series stretches enough until Nathan is grown and gets a story of his own--loved this kid!

I guess it goes without saying I have found a new name to add to my (growing) list of favorite authors.


Final verdict: 8/10. Great read.

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com