Thursday, October 1

Priest by Sierra Simone

There are many rules a priest can't break. 
A priest cannot marry. A priest cannot abandon his flock. A priest cannot forsake his God.

I've always been good at following rules. 
Until she came. 
My name is Tyler Anselm Bell. I'm twenty-nine years old. Six months ago, I broke my vow of celibacy on the altar of my own church, and God help me, I would do it again. 
I am a priest and this is my confession.


I haven't reviewed books in MONTHS! I got so busy with work and I had to do a quite complicated project at work and it just about took all of my time--ohmygod, my overtime was doing overtime of their own. Thankfully, I still found time to read. It's just the reviewing and the blogging part that I found difficult to find time to do. But I was still reading and keeping up to date with the newly released stuff. Otherwise, I would've gone insane-o.

Soooooo...what better way to start the 're-birth' of Bookabulary than to review Priest? Consider this re-birth baptized! I've actually had this book for quite sometime. But being the Catholic that I am, despite not being devout, I couldn't bring myself to even start reading this. It was just sitting in my TBR pile, looking neglected but pretty (c'mon, that cover?!).

But now I'm extra glad that I finally gave in because no matter how many times I had to put it down and take a deep breath before going on reading it, it was really a good read. Aside from the fact that I always cringe everytime I remember how many times they did it at the altar (holy guacamole, of all places!) or any religious place, it cannot be denied that the chemistry between Poppy and Tyler was off the roof.

It was a romance that I usually don't come across very often because there's really very few options on how to resolve the big issue in the room. It was as simple as black and white. But I was really surprised at how the story ended. In the interest of not giving away anything to those who haven't read it, let me just say that whatever second thoughts you'd have at the beginning at the thought of reading something like this will be worth the all the time overcoming them. Stop the overthinking and the overanalyzing...and just enjoy this good book. It was human and grounded and proof that you can serve your God in more ways than one. This was definitely a good choice for a standalone.


Final verdict: 8/10. Good read.

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com